Thursday, August 26, 2010

Inspiring!!

I haven't really talked about it on the blog too much but I really love volunteering and being involved in project that really help other people. My disability definetly does have it rough points don't get me wrong. People always ask me if I could take my disability away would I? And the truthful answer is of course I would. Given the opportunity to not have to struggle to get around somewhere because the world sometimes doesn't seem to be very accessible place would be awesome. or not have people stare at you like your an alien from planey mars would be great. But my disability does have a positive side. It has given me the ability to see the world with an understanding of true compassion and the ability to empathize with people who are struggling. I think it is probably my biggest gift

As you know I am studying therapeutic recreation. For those of you who don't (believe me there are alot) it is the study of how to provide leisure services to people with special needs like a phyiscal or mental handicap, addictions, the elderly and so on. It seemed perfect for me being it blended my love of event planning with helping people. With me being sick and everything I've kind of been rethinking what I want to do when I am back in school and I'm not sure if I want to stay in therapeutic or rec. or go into public relations and career wise get involved in promoting charities and other times of foundations

The bloorview rehab centre in Toronto is like the ultimate place I'd like to work. It is the largest facility in canada in terms of therapeutic recreation. they do all kinds of amazing things. well right now they have a campaign going on to promote the visibility of disability and letting people really understand what life is like for a disabled person. They're having a contest right now where people can make videos about what disability means to them. I wanted y'all to check out my two faves. you can vote for them too if you want. hope you enjoy em:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make my day!!! xoxo




Designed by:

Munchkin Land Designs
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2013 • All Rights Reserved